Kingsmen Succumb to Bulldogs in 2OT Heartbreak

Kingsmen Succumb to Bulldogs in 2OT Heartbreak

THOUSAND OAKS, Calif. – The Cal Lutheran Kingsmen fought hard for 109 minutes, putting together nine shots in Saturday afternoon's conference matchup, but fell behind 1-0 in the second overtime period to the Redlands Bulldogs. 

Although the Kingsmen were out shot in the first half seven to three, they did not make it easy for the Bulldogs. The Kingsmen relied on their strong backline to pressure the Bulldogs' attacks, not allowing them to capitalize on any of their attacks. 

By the 10th minute, the Kingsmen saw an opportunity to put themselves in the lead. Senior Jared Pischke drove the ball down the left side of the field, looking to junior Alon Arnaldes who hustled past two defenders outside the box. Finding just enough space, Arnaldes fired a shot, but straight to the keeper. 

In the 37th minute, freshman Igor Lumbrano took control of the game with a direct kick thirty yards out. At the sound of the whistle, Lumbrano ran to the ball and shot a bullet to the top of the left side of the goal, hoping to hit the back of the net, but out of luck, the goalie got his hands on the ball, keeping the game tied. 

Coming to the end of the first half, the Kingsmen found themselves being pushed back towards the box. Bulldogs with a corner from the right side, once again was cleared and recovered by the Kingsmen defense, holding the Bulldogs scoreless into the second half. 

Hungry to get on the board, Arnaldes took a free kick in the first minute of the second half, forcing the keeper to leave his goal to retrieve the ball. After the save, the Bulldogs forced their way up the field with another attempt to score. Redlands with a chipped pass to a lone forward, was knocked back down field by sophomore Antonio Welch, rushing out of the goal. That was his second save of seven for the second half. 

In the 61st minute, sophomore Gabe Elizondo got his feet on a loose ball and immediately found an open lane up the middle. With pressure coming from the right side, Elizondo saw freshman Jose Olea running down the left field line. With a clean service from Elizondo, Olea took control of the ball and pushed towards the box. Caught in a one on one battle, Olea broke passed his defender on the left side, but struggled to maintain possession and barely got a shot off to the left of the posts. 

The Bulldogs responded with two shots of their own in the 76th minute. With a drive down the left side, Redlands' attacker passed the ball up the middle and fired off a shot to the goal. Welch, with a diving save, knocked the ball back into the box which was then deflected into the back of the net. However, Redlands' celebration was quickly interrupted by an offsides call taking the game into golden goal overtime. 

Determined to end the game, the Kingsmen out-shot the Bulldogs two to one in the first period of overtime. With both teams unsuccessful, the game continued into double overtime. 

Fighting hard in final overtime, the Kingsmen got the opening shot off of the period. Unfortunately, on a fast break, Avery Jacobson took the ball down the right side of the field and crossed the ball diagonally it to the left side of the box. Forward Kayvon Parsa then finished the play with a shot to the bottom right side of the goal to win the game with only forty-four seconds left on the clock. 

The Kingsmen look to redeem themselves in Orange, Calif. this Wednesday, October 3, against the Chapman Panthers at the at 7 p.m. PST.


Box Score: UR 1, CLU 0
Sport Instagram: @kingsmen_soccer
Sport Twitter:
CLU Instagram: @clusports
CLU Twitter: @CLUSports
CLU Facebook: CLU Sports
Hashtags: #clusports #goregals #gokingsmen #ownthethrone #theSCIAC #ncaad3

Release by Nick Maldonado, Sports Information Student Assistant